Dear potential intern,
I know navigating this phase of the match is inherently stressful — we feel that, too! However, we are excited to review your materials for our open position and know that many qualified applicants match in this phase.
That said, there is a lot for you to sort through in a short period of time. As you peruse our website, consider starting with our training videos to give you a feel for our center.
We pride ourselves on the warm, inclusive atmosphere at the MU Counseling Center, where staff are truly committed to training.
Some other commonly cited internship highlights include:
- Strong training in group therapy
- Opportunities to supervise doctoral-level clinicians for two semesters (with excellent Supervision of Supervision)
- Focus areas to gain in-depth training in an area of clinical interest
- Multicultural emphasis/commitment to diversity throughout the program
- Focus on professional development and support for future job search
- Value of work-life balance
- Columbia, Missouri itself (a highly appealing college town with a lower than average cost of living)
All of these strengths are further delineated on our website. I hope you take a closer look and consider applying. Applications are due Feb. 24. We will begin interviews March 2 and hope to make the process as low-stress and smooth as possible. Our process will consist of one hour-long Zoom interview and an opportunity to connect with a current intern (if desired). I know you may not have time to fully personalize your cover letter to us. That’s OK. Please do make sure you address how your varied training experiences fit with Counseling Center work. Don’t hesitate to email me with any questions about our site or the process.
Jenny Lybeck-Brown, PhD
Training Director/Associate Director