The Student Health Center is committed to providing quality health care for all MU students, including those who identify as transgender*. We recognize that transgender, gender queer, gender variant and gender non-conforming individuals often are inadequately served by the health care community. We are engaged in an ongoing effort to improve our services.
These services include general medical care, gender-affirming hormone initiation, ongoing monitoring of therapy, and as appropriate, referral to the MU Counseling Center for counseling or others for supportive counseling and referral to specialists for gender affirmation surgery.
Our efforts to make your experience comfortable include:
- Training in gender identity issues for our staff.
- Periodic review of paperwork and modification for inclusivity.
- Recording your preferred name in the electronic health record for use at future visits to the Student Health Center and MU Health facilities.
- Gender neutral restrooms.
When scheduling your first visit, we ask both your legal name and your preferred name. After that, your preferred name will appear prominently in the electronic health record system.
- We must designate sex assigned at birth.
- Tell us your preferred gender pronouns.
- Please voice your preferences if they change or if we make mistakes.
*We use the term transgender to include those individuals who identify as gender non-conforming, which includes but is not limited to: gender queer, gender variant, bigender, transsexual, or other specific terms that individuals feel may more accurately describe their experience of themselves.