Travel Abroad

The Student Health Center provides information and advice to students for international travel, both for a study abroad program and leisure. Students can make an appointment with a provider for travel education, immunizations, medications, and pre- and post-travel health exams necessary for worldwide destinations.

Before You Go

  • Plan well in advance. If possible, begin two to six months before your departure date since some immunizations require more than one shot spaced a specific time apart.
  • Consider having a general physical exam done by your primary care provider. This is especially important if you have a chronic health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma or immune system problems.
  • Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more traveling/studying abroad tips. Detailed, country-specific information regarding requirements and recommendations are provided.
  • Make sure your routine immunizations are up to date. See “Immunizations” below.
  • Submit a pre-travel worksheet and immunization records. See “Travel Appointment” below.


Prior to a pre-travel appointment, locate your childhood and adult immunization records, including:

  • Td (Tetanus/Diphtheria) or Tdap within the past 5-10 years
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): two doses
  • Polio
    • Completion of primary series as a child
    • Booster may be needed depending on your travel destination
  • Hepatitis B: three-dose series recommended for every college student
  • Hepatitis A: two-dose series recommended for every college student traveling outside the United States
  • Meningococcal Meningitis: if living in a dormitory setting
  • Chickenpox: immunity protection either by disease, blood test or vaccine
  • Pneumococcal: for those with certain chronic health conditions
  • Influenza: recommended yearly for every college student
  • COVID-19

Travel Appointment

Before your appointment:

  • Complete the pre-travel visit worksheet (PDF). Fax to 573-882-5370 or email the completed worksheet
  • Locate your immunization records. You may send your immunization documents to the Student Health Center by using this secure upload function in MyZou. If you want someone (e.g., a parent) to upload these documents for you, you must first give them additional authorized access. If you have any questions or problems using the secure upload function, please call 573-882-7481.
  • After documentations are received, a staff member will contact you to set up an appointment with a primary care provider. The appointment may take up to one hour. There is a charge for travel visits.