Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS) is designed to help you understand your alcohol or cannabis use and to reduce risky behaviors and harmful consequences. If you have been referred to this service due to a conduct violation or medical follow up, you will receive a referral within the MU Connect system.
If you have received a referral, please follow these steps:
Schedule an appointment
Visit MU Connect. Click on the hamburger button and then select My Success Network, type “Wellness Resource Center” in the search bar. Click on the Wellness Resource Center from the drop-down menu.
- For alcohol related sanctions: Find the WRC BASICS Alcohol Group Workshops to sign up for a group session. Schedule a follow up appointment with Maya Williams, Koby Gooden, Kathleen Claxton, or Michelle McDowell 14 or more days after your scheduled workshop.
- For cannabis related sanctions: Sign up for an individual cannabis appointment with Preston Battles, Michelle McDowell or Christy Hutton. Your follow up appointment will be scheduled at the time of your initial appointment.
- For medical referrals: Please sign up for two BASICS follow up sessions at least one week apart. Note: there is no fee for medical referrals, however no-show fees apply.
Pay session fee
The $125 fee must be paid prior to entering the alcohol workshop or initial session for cannabis. Pay your fee here. If payment is not received in advance, you will be student charged. Please have your proof of payment available to show/send to the BASICS coordinator at the beginning of your session.
- Failure to attend or cancel within 24 hours of a group meeting will result in a $40 no-show fee charged to your student account. If you need to cancel, please do so on MU Connect at least 24 hours prior the group session.
- Note: BASICS workshops fill up quickly each semester. We encourage you to schedule your group session meeting in MU Connect as soon as possible. Follow up sessions must be completed two to four weeks after the alcohol workshop or initial session for cannabis. If not completed within four weeks, you will have to retake the alcohol workshop or initial session for cannabis and pay the $125 fee again. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
If you need to cancel your BASICS group session or individual session appointment, please do so at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. Failure to cancel in advance will result in a $40 no show fee charged to your student account. You may cancel and reschedule your appointment using the BASICS scheduling system on MU Connect.