Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Guide to Health and Counseling Resources

At Mizzou, you have many choices for getting help. Explore this guide to find resources that fit your specific needs. Regardless of where you choose to go, the most important thing is to reach out to someone. University staff will work together to ensure you find the most appropriate care.

If you need services in a language other than English, the Student Health Center can assist. Call 573-882-7481 for free language assistance. Patients who are deaf or hard of hearing can email to schedule an appointment and request a sign language interpreter, if desired.

I have an emergency, or someone I care about is experiencing a life-threatening situation.

Call 911.

In Columbia, we recommend going to University Hospital Emergency Department at 1 Hospital Drive (click for directions) or call 573-882-8091 for assistance.

Pregnant women and children should go to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital Emergency Department at 404 N. Keene St. (click for directions) or call 573-771-9400.

If you are outside Columbia go to the nearest emergency department.

If you aren't sure if this is an emergency:

  • Call a nurse: Call 573-882-7481 to talk to a nurse through Student Health Center. Nurses are available 24/7.
  • Call a counselor: Call 573-882-6601 to speak to a counselor through the Counseling Center. Crisis services are available 24/7.

I am concerned about my own mental health.

Click the services below to learn more. Scroll down if you are on a tablet or cell phone.

Crisis supportSelf-help strategiesOnline mental health screeningsGroup therapyIndividual therapyCommunity therapy options for long-term or specialty careMedication

Crisis support

If the level of psychological distress is preventing you from functioning normally in your academic or personal life, call 573-882-6601 for 24/7 crisis support.

Self-help strategies

Self-help can be empowering and build confidence. If it is not enough, please consider professional services, including individual and group therapy.

Free campus resources

Free apps

Subscription-based (free trial)

Online mental health screening

Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health provider.

Complete an anonymous and confidential mental health screening.

Group therapy

For many issues college students face, group therapy is the best treatment choice.

Group offers the unique opportunity to learn and change through interaction and to provide a support system for members.

We offer a wide range of groups to help you manage anxiety and depression, improve interpersonal relationships, or access support for specific topics such as grief, graduate/professional school, people of color living at a PWI, and international students.

Call 573-882-6601 to learn more about group therapy options at Mizzou.

Individual therapy

At MU you have choices about your mental health care. University counseling services are confidential, student-centered and inclusive.

  • The Counseling Center offers brief individual and group therapy. An initial assessment will help determine the best treatment options to address your specific needs, including matching you to a therapist who is the best fit for you. Call 573-882-6601 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
  • The Student Health Center uses a model where you can receive treatment from a team of medical professionals, including counselors. A limited number of behavioral health appointments are covered by your student health fee, and insurance is accepted. Call 573-882-1483 for a behavioral health triage appointment.

When longer term or specialty therapy is indicated, you may be connected to an appropriate community provider.

Not sure who to call?

If you would like to speak to someone about mental health care options, call 573-882-1483 to schedule a free triage appointment.

Regardless of who you call for help, the most important thing is that you call one of our centers. Our staff will work together to find the best care for you.

Community therapy options

We can help you find a community therapist for long-term or specialty care. Call 573-882-1483 to schedule a triage appointment at the Student Health Center.


Medication requires a prescription from a medical provider.

Call 573-882-7481 to make an appointment with a primary care provider at the Student Health Center.

Not sure about medication?

If you aren’t sure about medication and would like to discuss your options first, call 573-882-1483 to schedule a triage appointment.

I am concerned about the mental health of someone else.

You may be the first person to notice when an MU student is experiencing a mental health concern.

Call 573-882-6601 to speak with a counselor and learn how you can help a student.

Read more about how you can can help a friend.

I have a physical health concern.

Primary care providers at the Student Health Center can address acute illnesses and injuries, ongoing health conditions and routine health maintenance.

Call 573-882-7481 for a same or next-day appointment. You may also speak with a nurse 24/7.

I need help for intimate partner violence or sexual assault.

The Counseling Center, Relationship & Sexual Violence Prevention (RSVP) Center and Student Health Center are confidential sources that are not mandated to report information to the Office for Civil Rights, Title IX & ADA.

Click on the services below to learn more. Scroll down if you are on a tablet or cell phone.

Immediate medical care or examination for legal evidenceImmediate emotional supportHealth evaluation and treatmentOther helpful resources

Immediate medical care or examination for legal evidence*

Go to the University Hospital Emergency Department (click for directions) and ask for a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE).

*An evidentiary exam is designed to capture any physical evidence, such as hair, fibers, bodily fluids from the assailant, and to note any observable injury or trauma. It is recommended you wait until the exam to change out of the clothes you were wearing during the assault, bring a change of clothes and try not to eat, drink, douche, wash your hands, comb your hair, or brush your teeth

Immediate emotional support

Call 573-882-6601 for 24/7 crisis support or come in to the Counseling Center during business hours to speak with a counselor.

Learn more about crisis services.

Health evaluation and treatment

If you are concerned about an injury, sexually transmitted infection (STI) and/or pregnancy, but do not want an examination for evidence, call the Student Health Center at 573-882-7481 to schedule a same or next-day primary care appointment.

Other helpful resources

  • The Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention (RSVP) Center offers medical, legal, campus, and housing advocacy; basic crisis support; and education. Call 573-882-6638 or visit for more information.
  • True North offers a 24 hour hotline, emergency shelter, court and hospital advocacy, counseling, and support groups. Call 573-875-1370 or 800-548-2480 for assistance.
  • The Office for Civil Rights, Title IX & ADA handles reports of harassment and discrimination involving MU students, faculty, staff and visitors. Call 573-882-3880 or visit for more information.

I need information about substance use concerns or recovery support

  • Treatment options: Call the Student Health Center at 573-882-1483 to learn more about appropriate treatment options.
  • Community providers: Learn more about Phoenix Health Programs, a community treatment partner.
  • Brief screening and intervention: Obtain brief screening and intervention for alcohol and marijuana use at BASICS.
  • Sober living: Sober in College is a student organization aimed at providing an environment geared toward promoting a sober lifestyle. Visit their OrgSync portal for more information.