We value your health and safety, which is why we are proud to offer this course as part of our commitment to educating and encouraging you to make good decisions. Thousands of students across the country have taken advantage of this great learning opportunity. AlcoholEdu is an interactive, educational experience that will provide you with insight on issues you will be facing in college.
Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS) is a two-part program designed to help students understand their alcohol or cannabis use and to reduce risky behaviors and harmful consequences that can be associated with substance use. If you have been referred to this service due to a conduct violation or medical follow up, you will receive a referral within the MU Connect system.
If you have received a referral, please follow these steps:
- Schedule an appointment: Visit muconnect.missouri.edu. Click on the hamburger button and then select My Success Network, type “Wellness Resource Center” in the search bar. Click on the Wellness Resource Center from the drop-down menu.
- For alcohol related sanctions: Find the WRC BASICS Alcohol Group Workshops to sign up for a group session. Schedule a follow up appointment with Koby Gooden, Kathleen Claxton, or Michelle McDowell 14 or more days after your scheduled workshop.
- For cannabis related sanctions: sign up for an individual cannabis appointment with Preston Battles. Your follow up appointment will be scheduled at the time of your initial appointment.
- For medical referrals: Please sign up for a BASICS Medical Group 2-hour session. (Note: there is no fee for medical referrals, however no-show fees apply)
- Pay session fee: The $125 fee must be paid prior to entering the alcohol workshop or initial session for cannabis. Pay your fee here via debit/credit card. If payment is not received in advance, then you will be student charged. Please have your proof of payment available to show/send to the BASICS coordinator at the beginning of your session.
- Failure to attend or cancel within 24 hours of a group meeting will result in a $40 no-show fee charged to your student account. If you need to cancel, please do so on MU Connect within 24 hours of the group session.
Note: BASICS workshops fill up quickly each semester. We encourage you to schedule your group session meeting in MU Connect as soon as possible. Follow up sessions must be completed within four weeks of the alcohol workshop or initial session for cannabis. If not completed within four weeks, you will have to retake the alcohol workshop or initial session for cannabis and pay the $125 fee again. Please contact us at email@example.com for further assistance.
If you need to cancel your BASICS group session or individual session appointment, please do so 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. Failure to cancel in advance will result in a $40 no show fee charged to your student account. You may cancel and reschedule your appointment using the BASICS scheduling system on MU Connect.
eCheckup To Go Alcohol is a brief online questionnaire that provides personalized feedback regarding use patterns and frequency. The program also compares your alcohol use to that of other students and provides weekly, monthly, and annual estimates spent on alcohol. The information is then presented in a way that encourages you to make choices that align with your personal aspirations and goals.
eCheckup To Go Cannabis is a brief online questionnaire program is similar to eCheckup to Go Alcohol in that it provides personalized feedback regarding use patterns and frequency. The program also compares your cannabis use to that of other students and provides weekly, monthly, and annual estimates spent on cannabis. The information is presented in a way that encourages your to make choices that align with your personal aspirations and goals.
Services are available to help you quit or reduce your use of nicotine products, including cigarettes, electronic cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. Learn more about quitting nicotine.
STAR is an individually tailored skills program designed to help you drink more responsibly and reduce the risk of negative consequences when you drink. The program is offered through the Psychological Services Clinic and is a complement to our BASICS program.