Coping With Homesickness
- Acknowledge that you are feeling homesick.
- Talk with others about your experience.
- Get to know your new environment.
- Take care of yourself.
- Join a student group.
- The more your feel part of campus life, the less homesick you will feel. MU has over 400 recognized student organizations. For a list of these groups, visit: the MU Organization Resource Group website.
- Try to establish a routine.
- Keep in touch with friends and family from home but place a limit on telephone usage.
- Stay in Columbia as much as possible.
- Set a goal to approach one new person a day and introduce yourself.
- Be patient with yourself.
Adjusting to any new situation or environment takes time. If your homesickness persists or is interfering with academic performance or relationships, consider talking with someone at the Counseling Center.